Tea or Coffee? What is best for our health?
Coffee and tea are the most famous beverages worldwide, consumed in one form or another by most cultures around the world. Both have their benefits, depending on what you’re looking for. Below, find our breakdown of the differences between coffee and tea.
Coffee is more acidic
Coffee has a strong and bitter taste, depending on the region it comes from. It is more acidic than tea and therefore can be hard on some people’s stomachs.
Coffee has more caffeine
Caffeine gives you energy by blocking adenosine, a neurotransmitter responsible for signaling to your brain that it’s time to rest. It has a lot more caffeine than tea, making it hard to quit. It also gives you a quick boost of energy, making it extremely popular first thing in the morning.
Tea makes you alert, but relaxed
Tea, on the other hand, offers a more slow energy boost so the effect on your body is less dramatic. Tea also contains an amino acid called L-theanine. L-theanine actually lowers the absorption speed of caffeine into your body and has anti-anxiety effects. You end up in an alert but relaxed state.
Benefits of coffee
- Key nutrients like potassium, manganese, magnesium, and niacin
- Coffee lowers the risk of Type 2 Diabetes
- Coffee protects the liver
- Potentially protects against certain cancers
Benefits of tea
- Lowers the risk of certain cancers. Herbal tea is loaded with antioxidants, which protect against the oxidative damage that contributes to cancer’s development.
- Decreases inflammation. Researchers discovered that the polyphenols in tea leaves, perhaps working together with tea’s other compounds, fight inflammation.
- Promotes mouth health. Teas & Trees Love Potion (Dictamus) kills the bacteria in your mouth and helps to prevent infection
- Potentially decreases the risk of heart disease
If you decide to reduce your coffee intake or quit it altogether, Teas & TreesMornin' Blend is perfect as a morning replacement. Its ingredients - mountain tea, dictamus and marjoram - give you a kick to help you start your day.